Wednesday, May 2, 2018

"Ready, Get Set, SHIFT!"

"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.  He says to the snow, Fall on the earth, and to the rain shower, "Be a mighty downpour."  So that all men he has made may know his work, ...Job 37:5-7

Life is certainly full of shifts, changes and adjustments!  As a young teenager learning how to drive, my father so wisely took it upon himself to teach me how to maneuver a 5-speed automobile.  At first, it was very scary as I would find myself stalled out in the middle of an intersection trying to change gears or at the top of an "intimidating" hill slowly creeping backwards as my hands tightly gripped the steering wheel and absolutely freaking out because of my very real struggle!  If there wasn't a pond at the bottom of that small hill in Sussex County, I may have reacted a bit more composed.  Eventually, after lots of encouragement, practice and lessons I finally learned how to enjoy driving a manual-transmission car.   What I thought was absolutely an unfair and difficult feat for my parent to want me to learn actually turned out to be a joy, accomplishment and life lesson!

Now, many years later as I struggle at times with the seasons and changes of life, I am reminded of the patience and love of God there waiting for us all the while as we frustrate ourselves by trying to do things without His help or guidance.  Are we asking Him to lead us and open doors for us, or are we trying to work out our own path all by ourselves.  God's word so clearly instructs us to "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and ALL these things (that we pray about) will be added unto us at the proper time and in the right circumstances.  He has our best in mind, just like a good father who wants his daughter to learn how to safely drive a car.  When we can learn as believers, to enter into that "resting place" where even when it feels like the world is caving in around us, we have total peace and trust because we have practiced driving with the Father!  Sometimes, God says, "It's time to shift!"  We hear the engine getting louder, like the enemy getting angry at our progress, and we know that our lives are like a car in that we were made to "Shift."  In fact, if we refuse to become pliable, adapting to life's changes and kicking back against situations that could bring us into a higher level of maturity,  we will certainly miss out on the full potential of what God has created us to become.

Today's prayer:  Dear Lord Jesus, thank you so much for everything.  I even thank you for the unexpected bumps, and potholes in life that sometimes stops me in my tracks because I know that you have my best in mind.  Help me to trust you through the rough places, and to be ready to shift whatever you see in my life that is not moving closer to you.  Lord, you are my firm foundation and I know that you are working all things out for my good, even when life gets tough.  I am so glad that you are watching over me and preparing me and speaking to me.  Today I choose to Believe!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment